Today comes word that Mary Ann Glendon is turning down the prestigous Laetare Medal that was to be awarded to her at Notre Dame's commencement this year. Glendon is the Learned Hand Professor of Law at Harvard Law School and former United States Ambassador to the Holy See. Explaining her decision Glendon stated:
When you informed me in December 2008 that I had been selected to receive Notre Dame's Laetare Medal, I was profoundly moved. I treasure the memory of receiving an honorary degree from Notre Dame in 1996, and I have always felt honored that the commencement speech I gave that year was included in the anthology of Notre Dame's most memorable commencement speeches. So I immediately began working on an acceptance speech that I hoped would be worthy of the occasion, of the honor of the medal, and of your students and faculty. etc

No comments:
Post a Comment