The Strangers Knocking At My Door @ AMERICAN DIGEST
Abortion
As they did last year, they’ve come twice in the last day. They’re kids out running “a raise money for NARAL”
scam. They get a cut of anything they pull in, and they use any info
they get to sell to Planned Parenthood or other death mills.
They’re pleasant and they are enthusiastic (I love the painting! I really admire the tree!) and they hand you the clipboard expecting you to sign in your enthusiasm to support their “work.”
I listen and then I tell them, “No, I don’t support what you’re doing
or the people and causes that you represent. I think it’s evil for you
to do this, and worse still to do it for money.”
Here in Seattle's Queen Anne, where smiles, nods and signups for
their scam are their usual rewards, they seem genuinely surprised and
taken aback.
“You mean you’re not pro-choice?”
I assure them that I am not even if though, long ago, I was.
Yesterday evening, at night on the darkened porch, it was a young woman.
She just shook her head and walked away to get on with her “mission” of
going door to door bilking pro-choicers out of money. I guess she
forgot to leave the chalk mark on my door that indicates “Satan!”
because just now a boy old enough to be a man but forever avoiding it
knocked with the same knock and announced himself as, “Hello, I’m your
friendly neighborhood feminist.” He pointed towards the pink watch cap
he wore.
He ran through the same spiel and handed me what could have been the
same clipboard. I listened and handed it back to it saying, “I don’t
support this.”
“You mean, you’re not pro-choice?”
“Do you have any children?”
“Ah... no.”
“Have you even been through an abortion with, say, a woman you love in support of her right to choose?”
“Well, no.”
“I’ve been through two. The first was one that I supported. The
second was one that I had deep misgivings about but didn’t oppose.
“Those were all long ago, but now I know that those were two children
I didn’t have and will never know, and not a month goes by I don’t
think about that and regret it.
"If it ever happens to you, you’ll agree at the time and then, years
later, it will come back to you. It will come back to you that you are
missing children in your life and it is partially your doing. And it
will haunt you, the thought of the people they could have been.
“You’re young and deluded. You’re going to walk away and make this a
story you’ll tell to the other kids out running your scam. Then you’ll
forget all about it for years, maybe decades, and you’ll go off and have
some abortions of your own.
"And then one day, years after that, you’ll come to know what I know
now. That’s when you’ll remember me; a man who through his own vanity
and foolishness, kept two children out of his life.
“That’s when you’ll remember this moment. But like me, it will be too late for you.”
He walked away shaking his head, already moving into the forgetting.
Some day, it will come back to him. I’ll be remembered as a stranger,
but suddenly not all that strange.
Posted by Vanderleun at February 4, 2016 10:08 AM
Saturday, February 06, 2016
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
louis vuitton outlet, ugg boots, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp pas cher, prada outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, nike outlet, chanel handbags, louboutin outlet, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton, nike air max, cheap oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, jordan shoes, louis vuitton, nike free, tiffany and co, tory burch outlet, prada handbags, replica watches, nike roshe run, longchamp, louboutin, air max, ralph lauren pas cher, christian louboutin outlet, replica watches, louis vuitton, nike air max, kate spade outlet, louboutin pas cher, nike free, oakley sunglasses, sac longchamp, oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin shoes, uggs on sale, ray ban sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, burberry, gucci outlet, oakley sunglasses, tiffany jewelry, ugg boots, air jordan pas cher, michael kors
mont blanc, nike air max, babyliss, mcm handbags, louboutin, herve leger, ghd, hollister, celine handbags, lancel, new balance, nike trainers, valentino shoes, nfl jerseys, reebok shoes, soccer shoes, oakley, vans shoes, p90x workout, soccer jerseys, nike huarache, converse outlet, nike roshe, abercrombie and fitch, bottega veneta, north face outlet, beats by dre, birkin bag, instyler, gucci, mac cosmetics, chi flat iron, ferragamo shoes, insanity workout, ralph lauren, nike air max, jimmy choo shoes, longchamp, wedding dresses, asics running shoes, vans, hollister, timberland boots, iphone cases, baseball bats, hollister, giuseppe zanotti, north face outlet, ray ban, lululemon
montre pas cher, moncler outlet, moncler, karen millen, moncler, supra shoes, ugg pas cher, wedding dresses, swarovski, moncler, sac louis vuitton pas cher, doudoune canada goose, moncler, louis vuitton, pandora charms, canada goose, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, swarovski crystal, marc jacobs, hollister, moncler, toms shoes, louis vuitton, ugg boots uk, louis vuitton, canada goose uk, coach outlet, louis vuitton, moncler, canada goose, pandora charms, links of london, moncler, canada goose, canada goose outlet, pandora jewelry, juicy couture outlet, canada goose, thomas sabo, juicy couture outlet, pandora jewelry, bottes ugg, canada goose outlet, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, replica watches
Post a Comment