good inspiration
A mentor once told me, in frustration, that every time someone complimented me, I would deflect it. ‘It was nothing.’ ‘It wasn’t that difficult.’ I have always been very uncomfortable with compliments. He said that I was unaware of the impact that has on the person giving the compliment, and that I should simply learn to say ‘Thank you’ so that people would feel more comfortable around me. Compliments aren’t about me, they are about the person giving them.
Now, every time that I get a compliment, I understand that someone is trying to connect with me, and I instantly think of what my mentor told me. ‘Thank you’ and I see the impact it has on the person when I graciously accept their compliment instead of deflecting it. Compliments are still uncomfortable for me, but at least they are not uncomfortable for others.

No comments:
Post a Comment